Other articles in this category
Search More Content
Add a menu item that links to a page section
You can add a menu item whose link goes to a specific section on the same page or a section on a different page. This works with any of your site menus, which you can create and edit by clicking Appearance > Menus in the BBWP admin panel.
Note: If the section is on the same page, there’s a smooth scroll to the linked section. If the link goes to a section on a different page, there’s an immediate jump to that section on the other page.
This technique involves two steps: adding a unique ID to the target section in a Blackbaud Builder layout, then adding the link with that unique ID to your site menu.
1 -Add a unique ID to the target row
Tip: You can add the ID to a module, a column, or a row, but the target tends to position best if you add the ID to the row containing the item you want to link to. Also, if the section is near the end of the page, the scrolling section may not go directly to the section with the ID. This is a property of how browsers handle links to targets.
- In the Blackbaud Builder editor, open the row (or column or module) that you plan to link to.
- Click the Advanced tab and scroll down to the HTML elements section.
- For the ID setting, add a unique value such as
ID values may only contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens, or underscores.
Tip: It’s a best practice to prefix the ID value with something that helps identify it as coming from you. For example, if your oranization name is Best Website Org, your ID value might be
bwo-menutarget-1. Just make sure the ID value is something different from any other ID on your site.
2- Add the unique ID to a menu item
- On the admin menu, click Appearance > Menus and make sure the menu you want to use is displayed.
- In the left column expand the Custom links category.
- Enter the full URL of the target page in which the section occurs, followed by the pound sign and your ID. For example, if the section occurs on the page https://www.example.com/goals/, then your URL would be:
- Enter whatever link text you want your menu item to display.
- Click Add to menu.
- Save your Menu.