Other articles in this category
Search More Content
Revert to a previous version of a published item
There are two ways to revert to a previous version: the easy way and the hard way. The easy way works for all Blackbaud Builder layouts. The hard way works for all Blackbaud Builder layouts as well as native WordPress content and most custom post types.
Note: A revision is created for Blackbaud Builder layouts each time you click Done > Publish. Only the most recent 5 revisions are maintained.
The easy way to revert a Blackbaud Builder layout
In the easy way, you can view previously published versions of Blackbaud Builder layouts and choose the one you want to revert to.
- Open your current Blackbaud Builder layout for editing.
- On the Tools menu, click Revisions.
The Tools menu is in the upper left corner of your screen. Access it by clicking the down arrow in the title bar.
The previous versions of that page or post are displayed in a list, as shown in the following screenshot.
- Click one of the revisions to preview the layout. The preview screen is shown in the following screenshot.
- Click Apply to accept that revision or Cancel to revert to your current layout.
- Publish the page to finish accepting the older revision, or discard your changes to return to the currently published page.
The hard way to revert
This method uses native WordPress Revisions UI to compare the content markup between the current page and a previous revision. This is the method to use if you have content in the (non-Blackbaud Builder) WordPress editor. This is also a good way to use for Blackbaud Builder layouts if you want to get a more detailed comparison of the exact markup differences.
1 – Open the item for editing from the admin area.
To revert to a previous version of a page, post, or custom post, whether or not Blackbaud Builder is used for layout:
- Open the page or post for editing in the Admin panel. To edit a page, go to Pages and click the page you want to edit.
- If you are logged in and viewing the page from the frontend of the site: click the Edit Page or Edit Post link in the top bar.
- Don’t launch the Blackbaud Builder editor.
2 -Open the Compare revisions screen
- Click Revisions in the Document tab.
3- Restore the revision you want
Verify the revision you want and click Restore this revision.
Here are some tips for understanding the Compare revisions screen.
- Use the slider at the top or click the Previous button to display the revision you are interested in restoring on the right.
Tip: Sometimes it’s easier to click directly on the slider circle (containing the arrows) and use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate.
- The Restore this revision button always restores the version displayed in the RIGHT column. When you are displaying the latest version in the right column, the button is dimmed.
- The left column always displays the previous version to the one on the right, unless you select the Compare any two revisions checkbox, in which case the earlier version you select on the slider is always displayed on the left, the later version you select on the slider is displayed on the right.
- Markup highlighted in green is an addition from the two versions being compared. Markup highlighted in pink is a deletion from two versions being compared.
- This screen is a bit counterintuitive because often you want to restore the version in the LEFT column, but you can’t do that. If that’s the case, click Previous to move the version in the left column to the right column, then click Restore this revision.